Saturday 30 July 2011

Edinburgh Views

Today, sees the royal wedding between Zara Phillips and Mike Tindall with the service being held in Canongate Kirk in Edinburgh. I spent a few days in Edinburgh recently and the photo above shows the kirk from a different angle to the usual view from the Royal Mile. This was taken from Calton Hill looking across to Arthur's Seat and you can see Canongate churchyard in the centre of the picture. The Palace of Holyroodhouse is just out of shot to the left of the white circular building (Dynamic Earth).

Close to Edinburgh is also Rosslyn Chapel - made famous by Dan Brown's book The Da Vinci Code and subsequent film. The chapel was founded in 1446 by Sir William St Clair and took 40 years to complete. Inside, the ornate stonework is stunning and there is continuing debate about the symbolism of it all (no photography allowed, so I can't show it here I am afraid). The chapel is undergoing a major refurbishment which will cost over £13 million to complete. This means I cannot show the chapel in its full glory even from the outside, but here is a photo which hides most of the ongoing work.


I am afraid I don't have a local or politial connection this time, but I did visit the Scottish Parliament and listen to a debate on tuition fees in Scotland!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.