Saturday 23 April 2011

St. George's Day in Grove

This evening, I had the pleasure of attending the St George's Day celebrations of Grove Scout Group. The Revd. Paul Eddy gave a blessing and talk and I was the guest speaker and also presented some of the awards. I was a commitee member of 2nd Grove Scout Group in 1993 and became Chairman of the group in 1995 - so I was able to reminisce about old times and the fundraising events we held, especially our Pinewood Derby.  I paid tribute to the scout leaders and in fact all those who volunteered in the community who contributed so much to the whole ethos of scouting.

After the speeches, I presented a number of awards and then we were entertained by a wonderful dragon taking on St. George  in a battle (see photo below).  I think that St. George's Day and the scouting movement just goes to show how important it is to keep our traditions in an ever changing world.  'The Big Society' has always been there in scouting and long may it continue.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.