Sunday 28 August 2016

Cow Lane Bridge Reopening


I have only just had the chance to wander down Cow Lane in Grove to see the new bridge over the railway line referred to as the 'Hanneys crossing'.  This has been the latest scheme in the area which has benefitted from the GWR Electrification Project.  You will see from the photos above, that the benefits are obvious on this well-used recreational route.  The track in the past has been muddy and wet and some times impassable, but thanks to some funding I used from my Highways budget to gravel the area, and more recently, Network Rail agreeing to my request to make it good after their works in progress, all is now greatly improved.

This well-known traditional by-way is well-used by horse-riders, cyclists, pedestrians and dog walkers on a regular basis and is a 'green corridor' in the village of Grove.  I have already commented on the new housing developments planned for Monks Farm and the immediate vicinity. Plans for urbanising this route and constructing crossings over it will be detrimental to the village of Grove.  Indeed, on my walk today, I met cyclists and families enjoying a walk on a Sunday afternoon in the countryside.  This should always remain a quiet and open space to be enjoyed by all of us for the future.

This, of course, is the second bridge in Grove to have to be rebuilt and I blogged here about the official opening of the A338 Wantage Road bridge back in July.  Next to be upgraded I believe will be the Denchworth Road bridge, currently no information on this to date.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.