Friday 2 May 2014

Opening of the Sack House Museum in Wantage

Last Saturday, I had the pleasure of attending the official opening of the Sack House Museum and Wilts and Berks Canal Information Centre in Wantage.  The Wantage Silver Band were out to celebrate the event (see photos above) and along with many of the local volunteers, we were able to look inside at the history of the wharf area before it was developed for housing.   

Cllr. Jenny Hannaby and I contributed some of our County Councillor Community Budget funds towards the lighting inside the Sack House itself and as you will see from the photos above, this was all in good working order on the day!  Brian Stovold has worked hard as the East Vale Branch Chairman to co-ordinate the event on behalf of the Wilts and Berks Canal Trust.  They are always looking for volunteers, so do click on their website link if you wish to get involved.  This link also gives information about the opening hours for the museum and the background.

I should like to use this opportunity to flag up that I have a new pot of money for local community and voluntary groups to bid for in the new budget round, which although reduced to £5,000 per councillor, is still a boost to those who are looking for help. Please contact me at my email address zoe.patrick@oxfordshire.gov.uk if you wish to find out more. I would also urge those interested to contact me sooner rather than later, as funds are allocated on a first come, first served basis.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.