Tuesday 30 October 2012

Emergency Planning

On the day that the US declared a state of emergency in several states, including New York, as Hurricane Sandy caused devastation across the east coast, I went to visit the Emergency Planning bunker at Woodeaton Manor near Oxford.  This was the second time that I have made this visit and I was keen to update myself with all the latest information.

The last time I needed help in an emergency was when we had flooding in Grove and Wantage during July 2007, and I wished to make sure that I was up to speed with what currently happens in Oxfordshire to help our communities in times of emergencies. 

The County is eager to help parish councils prepare an emergency plan and I know that Grove Parish Council have been keen to work on this.  It is also a matter of ensuring that all residents are aware of where to go for help and the County Council's website has a wealth of information available .  A booklet entitled 'Are You Ready?' is particularly useful and I do have some hard copies of this, but you can download one from the website here.

We heard that emergencies can take many forms; fires, road traffic accidents and chemical spillages are the most likely ones, but no one can predict what may happen next.   We learned about the evacuation during the summer at Little Tew when fire broke out in a workshop.  This was a major event in the village, but was handled well by all involved. 

I am more confident today that with the excellent co-ordination our emergency planning officers have with the police, fire and rescue and the NHS services, we should be much better prepared.  However, we can never be complacent and lessons are being learned all the time.   Watching the scenes on TV this evening in America makes you realise that we are all vulnerable to the giant forces of nature.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.