Sunday 11 March 2012

Denchworth Barn Destroyed by Fire


This morning, many of us in the north of Grove woke to find black pieces of burnt debris on our cars and the road between Grove and Denchworth closed with a barrier across (left photo). This was because of a fire which destroyed the long thatched barn (Brook Lane Barns) next to Denchworth Manor and reports have appeared in the media here and here. I have just visited the scene of the fire tonight (right photo) and talked to the fire officers. Apparently, the alarm was raised by a passing motorist in the early hours of Sunday morning and 10 fire engines from across the county were used to bring the blaze under control. There are a number of nearby thatched properties so, whilst it is a great shame that this old barn has been lost, we should be thankful that the officers managed to prevent it from spreading further.

The road is now open to traffic, but please take great care as you approach Denchworth as there will be a continuing presence of fire vehicles and firemen through the night and tomorrow. I understand there has also been an accident at The Volunteer bridge, which has meant that more traffic than normal has been going through Denchworth tonight.

13 comments:

  1. any idea what started the fire

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I have not heard the outcome of the investigation.

      Delete
  2. Any idea how long it will take to finalise the investigation. Such a beautiful building ruined

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am trying to find out more about it. I agree it is a beautiful listed building and such a feature in our landscape.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have seen this report on the Wantage Herald website. http://www.heraldseries.co.uk/news/hswantagenews/9608646.Blaze_at_barn_was_accident/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Something must have caused it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. All I have heard is that the fire had started within the kitchen area of the building and had spread to the roof from there. It could possibly have been one of the electrical appliances, but I have no further information at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  7. May be worth looking at the lighting as i believe the company that rented the barn may have replaced with sub standard led lighting

    ReplyDelete
  8. any updates from the fire brigade?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have passed on your comments to the fire service, however as you are anonymous it is very difficult for them to liaise with you directly on the issue you have raised. If you wish to give me your contact details then you can email me separately and I will pass on.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Zoe

    This is difficult for me would be prepared to discuss over the phone and perhaps you will understand then my comments. If that is acceptable i will forward my mobile number.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Please do to my email address zoe.patrick@oxfordshire.gov.uk

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello Zoe, just reading the comments above, do you have any idea of when the fire report will be completed?

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.