Thursday 15 May 2008

Power to the People

This is the title of the conference I have attended in London today and the question we asked was "Will the White Paper Deliver?"

I am sure that the average person in the street would think I had gone mad if I were to stop them and ask if they are ready to take on 'devolved power', and even more so, if I were to ask them about the 'Sustainable Community Strategy'. Well, I hope my blog goes some way to help my constituents through the maze of 'government speak' and in some way I have to attempt to do this myself. Well, we don't wish to miss out on anything wonderful which might be coming our way do we?

The highlight of the day was the keynote speech from Hazel Blears MP, Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government where she gave us all a very rousing finale. During the morning session, we had listened to Julia Goldsworthy MP, the Shadow Secretary of State (Liberal Democrat) and both were saying very inspirational things about how people can get involved and try to change things for the better in the places where they live. We heard a lot about 'neighbourhood renewal'.

And because I think some of this is really good stuff if used correctly, and we really can involve people within their communities and give them money to do so - I want to find out more and hope you do too.

Believe it or not, there is a 'Community Power Pack' (I am not joking - read it here) and when you have read all 60 odd pages you will know where to start! Seriously though, we can only wait until this White Paper becomes a reality, and in the meantime gear ourselves up for it. There should be devolved budgets coming with it, so that should make a difference, and councillors are expected to take a key role in making it happen!

However, if the White Paper seems too far away and you have a burning ambition to get started on a vision or a project that would benefit the local community and need funds to help, why not pop along to a free funding advice surgery which is being held on Monday 19th May from 10am - 1pm at the Independent Advice Centre, 16 Market Place, Wantage.

This may be a quicker route to funding local projects - just in case the government White Paper may be too far away for us to plan for it yet! I won't hold my breath....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.