Thursday 9 August 2007

Environment Agency Flood Surgery in Abingdon

This evening I called in at the Guildhall in Abingdon to see what was happening at the Environment Agency flood surgery. There were a number of stands and displays with many staff on hand to discuss issues and offer advice. I took along the feedback questionnaires which residents of Grove have been sending back to me, and a number of themes have been coming in. Some of these include adequate warning systems, management of the Letcombe Brook, drainage, various sluice gates and the sudden surges of water that came upon us on 20th July taking everyone by surprise.

I was able to discuss some of these issues with the Flood Risk Management team and they have promised to contact me so that we can share the details of my report with them. What is clear is that it would have been difficult for anyone to have forseen so much rainfall in such a short space of time in the middle of summer. We all hope this was a freak event.

I was given the following telephone number: 0845 988 1188 for flooding advice, or you can visit:
www.environment-agency.gov.uk/floodline

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.